Rhys Ford’s Local-style Mac Salad
I don’t cook using measurements so you’re going to have to bear with me. Adjust to YOUR tastes. Some people like grated carrot in it and no peas. I’m not a huge fan but it’s really up to you.
- 16 oz cooked elbow macaroni, cooled (you can also add boiled potato or just use potato)
- 5-6 hard boiled eggs, minced fine or torn apart in the palm of your hand using a fork
- 1 medium sized cucumber, deseeded and minced, partially peeled (I make stripes on the skin)
- 1 small sweet onion, minced
- 2 cups of frozen peas or peas/carrots. Don’t cook them. Just run them under hot water and drain
- 2-3T salt, 1T pepper, 1T granulated garlic…this is to taste, a bit of old bay maybe 1T (optional)
- mayonnaise. Maybe 1 to 1.5 cups. This is purely by eye.
In a large mixing bowl, mix all of the ingredients together EXCEPT the mayo. Get in there. Mix it up. Taste it. Make sure there’s enough salt.
THEN add the mayo. Make it was wet as you like it. The macaroni will absorb a lot of it. Put it in the fridge to “marinate”. It’s best to let the flavours mingle.
Served best with loco moco or kalua pig and cabbage.
- Fried egg
- Covered in brown gravy.